Happy Wheels is a new and innovative program that delivers the comfort and care provided by the Ronald McDonald House to children and families while they’re at Children’s of Alabama. The Happy Wheels Cart will run in the clinics at Children’s of Alabama 2-3 days per week for two-hour shifts in the morning and afternoon. The volunteers will pass out drinks and snacks to the children and families who are waiting to see the doctors. There will be some small activity packs to pass out to the children as well. We need at least two volunteers for each shift. Right now we are starting with Tuesday and Thursday but we hope to add days as we add volunteers.
Please note that all volunteers for the Happy Wheels Cart must:
- Be 16 or older
- Complete volunteer training at the RMHCA
- Qualify to be a volunteer at Children’s of Alabama
- Complete volunteer training at Children’s of Alabama
- Be able to commit to at least one shift every other week — You are welcome to work more often!
- Plan on a minimum commitment of six months –You can work for a longer period of time, if desired!
- Be able to walk for a minimum of two hours
- Be able to push Happy Wheels Cart to designated areas while also bend and reach for low materials on the cart.
- Complete our online Volunteer Application.
- Complete our online Background Check Form.
- Attend one of our Volunteer Orientation sessions (you will receive an email invitation shortly after applying).
- Complete the Children’s of Alabama’s Volunteer Process.
- Schedule and complete your first day of training at RMHCA.
- Set up your volunteer schedule.
- Begin volunteering!
If you have items you would like to donate for the Happy Wheels Cart, like individually wrapped snacks, toothbrushes, travel-sized toiletries, small books, games, and toys we would love to have them on our cart. Please keep in mind that due to inpatient health and safety protocols, all donated items must be new and unused, and food items must be individually wrapped and labeled. For questions about the items in the cart, please contact:
Director of Family Programming
Volunteer Coordinator, Alice Taylor