Stocks, IRA distributions and other ways to support RMHCA’s mission
Today, let’s explore other ways to give that can keep families together when a child needs medical care.
Stocks and Bonds
Donating appreciated securities, including stocks or bonds, is an easy and tax-effective way for you to make a gift to Ronald McDonald House Charities of Alabama.
Benefits of gifts of stocks and bonds
- Avoid paying capital gains tax on the sale of appreciated stock
- Receive a charitable income tax deduction
- Further our mission today
How to make a gift of stocks and bonds
By electronic transfer – Please contact us for instructions on how you can transfer stock or bonds from your brokerage or investment account to Ronald McDonald House Charities of Alabama.
By certified mail – If you hold securities in certificate form, you will need to mail two envelopes separately to complete your gift. In the first envelope, place the unsigned stock certificate(s). In the other envelope, include a signed stock power for each certificate. You may obtain this power from your broker or bank. Please remember to use certified mail.
IRA Charitable Rollover
If you are 70½ or older you may also be interested in a way to lower the income and taxes from your IRA withdrawals. An IRA charitable rollover is a way you can help continue our work and benefit this year.
Benefits of an IRA charitable rollover
- Avoid taxes on transfers of up to $100,000 from your IRA to our organization
- May satisfy your required minimum distribution (RMD) for the year
- Reduce your taxable income, even if you do not itemize deductions
- Make a gift that is not subject to the deduction limits on charitable gifts
- Help further the work and mission of our organization
How an IRA charitable rollover gift works
- Use the IRA plan administrator search tool to make a gift from your IRA to us.
- Your IRA funds will be directly transferred to our organization to help continue our important work.
- Please note that IRA charitable rollover gifts do not qualify for a charitable deduction.
- Please contact us if you wish for your gift to be used for a specific purpose.
Donor Advised Fund (DAF)
A donor advised fund (or DAF) might be a great solution for you. You can use a DAF to distribute gifts to numerous charities. With a DAF, you can make gifts to charity during your lifetime, and when you pass away, your children can carry on your legacy of giving.
You enjoy several benefits with your donor advised fund
- Establish a flexible vehicle for annual charitable giving
- Benefit from a more tax and cost efficient alternative to a private foundation
- Obtain a charitable income tax deduction in the year of your gift
How a donor advised fund works
- You make an initial, irrevocable gift of cash or stock to fund a DAF at a sponsoring organization.
- The assets in your DAF grow tax-free.
- You make annual recommendations on gifts to be made from your DAF.
Have you already made a gift to a DAF? Use the DAF search tool to contact your advisor and make a gift to RMHCA.
Please contact us with any questions!
Director of Major Gifts & Planned Giving
This blog is informational and educational in nature. It is not offering professional tax, legal, or accounting advice. For specific advice about the effect of any planning concept on your tax or financial situation or with your estate, please consult a qualified professional advisor.