Pop Tab Recycling Program
The Pop Tab Pandemonium contest is open to public and private K-12 schools in Alabama. Anyone in Alabama is welcome to drop off tabs at our annual Pop Tab Parties, held each spring! Registration is now open for 2022-2023 and will close on March 1, 2023.
About the Program
Are you looking for a simple way to help families in need? Look no further! Since 2001, communities across Alabama have made a huge impact through tiny pop tabs! Schools, families, and businesses alike collect pop tabs throughout the year and donate them for recycling at our House or through our annual Pop Tab Parties. Ronald McDonald House Charities of Alabama partners with Brother’s Recycling, A&S Metals and Capital Recycling to receive funds based on the going rate per pound of aluminum recycled. These funds are used to support the mission of the House, which can include things like utility bills and supplies that our families need.
Anyone can collect pop tabs, and that’s what makes this program so great! It’s an easy way to help the families who call RMHCA home, and we hope you’ll think of them whenever you recycle a pop tab.
We currently raise an average of $15,000 a year from recycling pop tabs! With your help, we can reach our goal of $20,000 each year!
Collect aluminum tabs
- Grab a container to store your pop tabs in! We highly encourage Ziploc bags and boxes. Please avoid soda bottles, jars, milk jugs, and plastic grocery bags as they are hard to process and metal recyclers do not also process plastics or glass.
- Collect your pop tabs! We accept pop tabs from any kind of aluminum can. Hint: aluminum isn’t magnetic so if your tab sticks to a magnet, please don’t include it! Only tabs accepted, not the actual can.
- Donate your tabs for recycling! See below for the 3 ways to donate your tabs.
Get a pop tab t-shirt
Available for a donation of $15. Click here for more details.
Pop Tab Pandemonium is a school-based contest held each year throughout Alabama. Participating schools collect pop tabs throughout the school year and donate them to Ronald McDonald House Charities of Alabama. This is a great way to teach kids about recycling and giving back, while they have fun competing against other schools in hopes of being declared the winner! Registration is now open and will close on March 1, 2023. Winners will be announced after weigh-in at our 2023 Pop Tab Parties.
Pop Tab Recycling Resources
POP TAB DROP OFF INFO
Updated August 9, 2022
- If you have a small collection (fewer than 10 gallon-sized Ziplocs) you can drop off your tabs at the Ronald McDonald House, located at 1700 4th Avenue South, Birmingham, AL, 35233. Look for the wooden Pop Tab House at the end of our driveway!
- If you have a large amount of tabs, we urge you to attend one of our Pop Tab Parties, held each spring.
- If you have a large amount of tabs or can’t make it to a party, drop your tabs at one of our amazing recycling partners:
Pop Tab Drop off Centers:
>>>It is very important that you let your local center know that you are dropping off tabs for RMHCA. This is the only way they will be able to track the proper proceeds.<<<
700 W 20th Ave
Sheffield, AL 35660
Drop off Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 3 p.m. and Saturday 8 a.m. to noon
A & S Metals
2540 Gordon Terry Parkway
Decatur, AL 35601
Drop Off Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 3:15 p.m.
1620 Vanderbilt Rd
Birmingham, AL 35234
Drop off Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
3800 Mobile Hwy
Montgomery, AL 36108
Drop off Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Contact Stephanie Duncan, Community Outreach Manager