IMPORTANT MESSAGE Due to the construction happening at our House, we have temporarily stopped accepting reservations for Family Activities. However, we are taking RSVPs for 2018! Due to the popularity of this program, we highly encourage you to reserve your 2018 date as soon as you can. If your group would like to do something now, we are always in need of grab and go snack bags! Learn more on the blog.
Below you will find some basic information about our activity nights as well as House guidelines that will make your night a success for your group and our families. Thank you for your interest in hosting an activity at the Ronald McDonald House!
About Family Activities
Our goal is to provide families with a variety of age-appropriate opportunities for activities, entertainment, and education while staying at the House.
Activity Nights are scheduled from 6:30 to 7:30. Please arrive at 6:15 to allow time for set-up.
I’d like to host an activity!
- Read and agree to adhere to our Activity Group Guidelines.
- Fill out the Activity Group Application.
- Take a look at our Programs and Activities Calendar and email Emily Wright to reserve your date and discuss your activity.
- Plan your activity.
- Come to RMHCA on your confirmed date and have fun with our families!
Choosing an Activity
When choosing an activity, keep in mind that the majority of our children are grade school age or younger.
Activities might include but are not limited to:
- Arts and crafts
- Performance of music, dances, and/or plays
- Music and/or dance instruction
- Stress Management
- Active indoor games (hula hoops, darts, bowling)
- Clowns and magic shows
- Financial Counseling
- Arranging for a professional group to come in and perform
- See more detailed list
Supplies for Arts & Crafts
Supplies for the activity are provided by the volunteer group. Plan enough supplies for 10 – 15 children. Read the labels and only purchase art and craft materials intended for children.
Guidelines for Selecting Art and Craft Materials for Children for children up to 12 years of age (pre-kindergarten through grade 6):
- Note that even products labeled ‘non-toxic’ when used in an unintended manner can have harmful effects.
- Products with cautionary/warning labels should not be used with children pre-kindergarten through grade 6.
- No solvents and solvent-based supplies, which include turpentine, paint thinner, shellac, toluene, and some glues, inks, and a few solvent-containing permanent markers.
- No materials in self-pressurized containers.
- No acids, alkalis, bleaches, or corrosives.
- No products or processes that produce airborne dusts which can be inhaled.
- No old supplies or unlabeled supplies.
- No materials with lead, cadmium, and other heavy metals.
On Your Activity Night
*If at any time during the evening you need assistance, please see the Family Care Specialist at the front desk. A Family Care Specialist is always on site and available to provide assistance.
- Everyone must be healthy with no signs of illness. If in doubt, please do not attend.
- The designated lead must be in attendance.
- We would like for your group to consist of at least two people.
- Fill out the group sign-in form completely when you arrive at the front desk, and each member of your group must sign in on that form. That is our only record that you are in the House and volunteered.
- Set up your activity. If necessary, bring plastic coverings to protect the work table.
- After the event, please return the space to the same or better condition than you found it. Sanitize table surfaces and wipe them with paper towels. Do not leave any supplies in the dining area. If you would like to donate leftover supplies, please bring them to the front desk.
Director of Family Programming