The Ronald McDonald House Charities of Alabama (RMHCA) provides a warm, safe, comfortable place to stay for families of critically injured or seriously ill children who are hospitalized or receiving treatment from any of the Birmingham area medical facilities or offices.
The following criteria must be met for a family to be eligible to stay at Ronald McDonald House:
- The family’s child (patient) must be 18 years of age or younger.
- The child must either be an inpatient or an outpatient receiving continuous treatment.
- A referral form submitted by the medical provider primarily responsible for the child’s care must be sent to the Ronald McDonald House. This request should be made as far in advance as possible. Please contact the Social Services office at your medical provider for referral information.
- Families must live outside of Jefferson County.
- All adult guests must provide photo identification and agree to a background check.
- Once a referral is submitted, please complete the background check form.
At the Ronald McDonald House, each family is assigned to one of 73 bedrooms with private bathrooms. All families share two large family kitchens and cozy family dining room in the west wing as well as a larger dining room in the east wing. The kitchen is stocked with basic kitchen items, including: pots, pans, dishes, utensils, glassware and some basic food items. A large, comfortable living room, library and indoor play area are also available for use.
In addition, we have a playground and courtyard for a cheerful and restful outdoor environment. While the House provides linens, towels, cleaning supplies, basic toiletries and basic food staples, we recommend that families bring any additional personal or food needs. A laundry room with a detergent dispenser is also on site.
A donation is not required to stay at the house and no eligible family is ever asked to leave the House or denied future stays because they could not or did not make a donation. There is however a deposit of $15 required for keys when you check in. This deposit will be refunded when you check out and return all keys.
RMHCA management reserves the right to make final determinations, at its sole discretion, about eligibility for initial, continued or repeat stays by any family, as well as room location and (re)assignment.
In order to maintain the comfortable and pleasant atmosphere of the House, it is necessary for all families to help by cleaning up after themselves in all common areas (kitchen, play areas, etc.) and their assigned room and by respecting the rights of other families and the rules of the House.
Quiet hours are from 10pm–7am.
In order to determine if we are the appropriate place for you and your family to stay, please contact your social worker at the hospital.