The Ronald McDonald House Charities® of Alabama (RMHCA) provides support for families of critically injured or seriously ill children who are hospitalized or receiving treatment from any of the Birmingham area medical facilities or offices. RMHCA does this through two programs:
The Ronald McDonald House® is located at 1700 4th Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35233. Our driveway where you will load and unload your vehicles is located on 17th Street South between 3rd and 4th Avenue South.
The Ronald McDonald Family Room® is available to primary parents/caregivers of NICU patients at UAB Women & Infants Center.
The following criteria must be met for a family to be eligible to stay at the Ronald McDonald House®:
- The family’s child (patient) must be 18 years of age or younger.
- The child must either be an inpatient or an outpatient receiving continuous treatment.
- A referral form submitted by the medical provider primarily responsible for the child’s care must be sent to the Ronald McDonald House®. This request should be made as far in advance as possible. Please contact the Social Services office at your medical provider for referral information.
- Families must live 50 miles or more from the Ronald McDonald House®.
- All adult guests must provide photo identification and agree to a background check.
- Once a referral is submitted, please complete the background check form.
At the Ronald McDonald House®, each family is assigned to one of 73 guestrooms that include an en-suite bathroom.
Guest families can utilize two family kitchens to store their preferred food items in guest fridges and freezers. These kitchens are stocked with essential items, including: pots, pans, dishes, utensils, glassware and some basic food items.
Volunteers provide dinner at 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and there are family-friendly activities hosted by volunteers throughout the week.
The Ronald McDonald House® has two dining rooms available for meal time as well as several indoor areas to sit and relax.
In addition, we have a playground and courtyard for a cheerful and restful outdoor environment.
While the Ronald McDonald House® provides linens, towels, cleaning supplies, basic toiletries and basic food staples, we recommend that families bring any additional personal or food needs.
Three laundry rooms are available for guests’ use and RMHCA provides detergent, dryer sheets, irons and ironing boards.
Nursing mothers can also access several Nursing Nooks located throughout the Ronald McDonald House®.
In order to maintain the comfortable and pleasant atmosphere of the House, it is necessary for all families to help by cleaning up after themselves in all common areas (kitchen, play areas, etc.) and their assigned room, and by respecting the rights of other families and the rules of the House.
Quiet hours are from 10 p.m. – 7 a.m.
To determine if we are the appropriate place for you and your family to stay, please contact your social worker at the hospital.
A donation is not required to stay at the house and no eligible family is ever asked to leave the House or denied future stays because they could not or did not make a donation. There is a deposit of $15 required for keys when you check in. This deposit will be refunded when you check out and return all keys.
RMHCA management reserves the right to make final determinations, at its sole discretion, about eligibility for initial, continued or repeat stays by any family, as well as room location and (re)assignment.
Social Work Offices
- Children’s of Alabama – 205-638-9684
- UAB Women and Infants Center – 205-934-3411
- Brookwood Baptist Health – 205-877-2795
- Grandview Medical Center – 205-971-5544
- Ascension/St. Vincent’s – 205-939-7175