Over the course of a families stay at RMHCA, there are a number of family programs and activities put on in an effort to provide fun and enriching experiences. There are House Activities like fun game nights to provide a temporary relief of stress, Personal Development Activities such as Financial Counseling and Support Activities such as L.I.F.E. classes to enable you to better cope and manage during this difficult time in your life. We hope that each of these activities help our families during their time of need.
If you are interested in hosting a Family Program or Activity for RMHCA, please click here to read some basic information to help make your night a success. If you have any ideas or questions please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Alice Taylor at email@example.com or (205) 638-7372.
- Arts and Crafts Night – drawing, paper art, jewelry, mosaics, painting, quilting, crochet, knitting, scrapbooking, sculpture demonstrations, welcome/”no sew” blankets and much more!
- Book Club – short stories, self-help chapters, current popular novels, Birmingham based stories, author meet & greets, children’s book with activities, illustrator talks
- Cake Decorating/Birthday Club – cupcakes, themed cakes for holidays, etc.
- Game Night – Bingo, Poker for Beginners, Family Favorites (Monopoly, Scrabble, Chutes and Ladders, Candyland)
- Holiday Themed Events – Parties, arts and crafts nights, game night
- Ice Cream Social – Sundae bar, make your own ice cream, yogurt
- Sports themed parties – Iron Bowl/Superbowl, etc.
- Magicians and Magic Shows
- Ronald Workshop – Special holiday “shop” for our families
Personal Development Activities
- Financial or Legal Counseling
- Healthy Living – yoga, meditation, relaxation, laughter therapy and more!
- What’s Cooking? – learn new recipes with demonstrations
- Stress Management Workshop – peace breathing, deal with tension
Support Programs & Activities
- L.I.F.E Program – a monthly joint program between RMHCA & Children’s of Alabama (Read More about L.I.F.E.)
- Field Trips – Railroad Park, Birmingham Zoo, McWane Science Center, Vulcan Park and Museum, Birmingham Baron’s Games, Birmingham Children’s Theater
- Hand in Paw – twice monthly animal-assisted therapy at the House
- Pamper Sessions with MUSE Salon and Winonah School of Cosmetology
One of Ronald McDonald House Charities’ Happy Wheels Cart began in January of 2016 at Children’s of Alabama to serve families who may or may not be able to stay with us at the House. This is another great way to get involved with the families dealing with sick children. If you are interested in volunteer with the Happy Wheels Cart, please visit our volunteer page.