VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY! DIY SURGICAL MASK
1. Fabric should be 100% cotton ONLY. We cannot accept masks made from other fabrics.
2. Fabric should be clean and in good condition in order to be protective.
3. Fabric MUST be laundered in HOT water prior to sewing to prevent future shrinkage. Please do not use scented soaps or fabric softeners.
4. Elastic should be in good shape, with plenty of stretch and of an appropriate size to fit over the ears; 1/16” round cord or 1/8” braided work best.
Once your masks are complete, place in a new ziplock bag and mail or bring to:
Ronald McDonald House Charities of Alabama
ATTN: Chris Ellis
1700 4th Ave S
Birmingham, AL 35233
For more information, email Stephanie.Duncan@rmhca.org
Thank you for your generosity in helping keep our families safe!
DIY SURGICAL MASK INSTRUCTIONS
[You can also download and print a PDF version by clicking the link at the top of this page!]
15.5×8.5” piece of 100% cotton fabric, tightly woven
2- 7” pieces of 1/8″ elastic
sewing machine and thread
sewing pins or clips
1. Sew the top side, with pocket Fold the fabric in half, with the right sides facing each other. Sew along the 8.5″ width edge, using a 3/8″ seam allowance. Leave a 2” opening in the center of this seam to create an opening for the filter pocket (optional), and to allow the mask to be turned right side out after sewing. Optionally, topstitch: Press the seam open. Turn the mask right side out, and topstitch along both sides of the seam for a neater edge. Turn the mask wrong side out.
2. Pin Elastic Pin one piece of elastic to the top and bottom of the short side of the fabric rectangle to create an ear loop. Place the elastic 1/2“ from the top and bottom edge of the fabric. Repeat this process on the opposite side.
3. Sew the Sides Sew the sides of the facemask. Backstitch over the elastic to secure it. Turn the mask right side out and press with an iron.
4. Sew the Pleats Create three evenly spaced 1/2” pleats. Pin the folds in place, and sew along the sides. Making sure all pleats are facing the same direction.
Note: When the mask is worn, the pleats should open downwards to prevent any particles from collecting in the fold pockets. Filters can be added to the inside pocket or worn without.