Ronald McDonald House Charities of Alabama
Posted: September 21, 2017
Overview: Creates, implements and directs all Ronald McDonald House Charities of Alabama in-house volunteer activities including but not limited to meals, Hand In Paw, school and club groups and other guest programs. Recruits, trains, organizes and directs the volunteers utilized in such programs as well as in fundraising events. Maintains the volunteer database. Works in tandem with the Operations Director and Director of Family Programming on all guest programming.
Reports to: Director of Marketing and Communications
Status: Full Time, Non-Exempt
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recruits, trains and stewards volunteers and assist with special event volunteer training.
- Coordinates scheduling of volunteer shifts and activities to meet the day-to-day operational and family service needs of the organization, including finding replacements as necessary.
- Recruits, schedules, trains, and maintains all aspects of the volunteer Meal Program, finding replacements as necessary
- Actively seeks out and identifies opportunities presented in the community for recruitment of new volunteers.
- Serves as community outreach liaison, giving talks to various groups in efforts to recruit new volunteers and to other groups, as assigned. (All requests for speakers must go through Marketing Director)
- Contributes to RMHCA Newsletter on all volunteer activity and programs.
- Cultivates volunteers as unpaid partners in mission.
- Assures that volunteers are equipped with tools necessary to successfully perform their jobs.
- Matches volunteer talents and expertise with tasks that best suit the volunteer’s skill sets.
- Evaluates performance of volunteers and recommends volunteers for particular activities or training.
- Maintains records of volunteer hours worked and projects with which volunteers participated.
- Maintains volunteer work calendar check-in and check-out procedures.
- Maintains master volunteer schedule.
- Develops and maintains volunteer program manuals for orientation, training and ongoing service.
- Directs appropriate operations staff to oversee or assist with House programs and activities.
- Identifies and develops training and service opportunities for volunteers.
- Actively participates with volunteers in effort to keep them engaged and in stewarding donor relationships.
- Plans ways to recognize donors throughout the year, especially during Volunteer Recognition Month.
- Plans the annual April recognition event for volunteers.
- Supervises and recruits Interns, Work Study students and Work Study Program.
- With Development Office, solicits funds from volunteers and volunteer groups as appropriate.
- With Operations staff, creates, implements and oversees all House program volunteer activity including existing programs as well as new programs that assist or otherwise aide house guests in our constant efforts to provide for the health and welfare of our guest families.
- Assists with Ronald McDonald House special events and activities as needed.
- Performs other duties incidental to the work outlined in this position description as requested by the Marketing and Communications Director.
- Contributes to RMHCA team efforts by maintaining positive, supportive and flexible working relationships with fellow staff and volunteers in our mutual pursuit of providing comfort and care to families of seriously ill or injured children being served by our facility.
Qualifications, skills and abilities required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Communications or related field plus three years requisite experience required.
- Previous experience working effectively with volunteers.
- Proficiency in Excel or related database management software.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to relate to people of diverse backgrounds.
- Skilled in Microsoft Word, Publisher, PowerPoint, and other desktop software programs.
- Demonstrated problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple and diverse tasks.
- Dependable, excellent judgment and demonstrated ability to operate in flexible, team-oriented environment.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and a cover letter to Stephanie Langford, Marketing and Communications Director, at Stephanie.Langford@rmhca.org.