Ronald McDonald House Charities of Alabama
Posted: November 11, 2021
Overview: The Volunteer Coordinator creates, implements, and manages the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Alabama Volunteer program. He/she recruits, cultivates, trains, organizes, directs, and stewards all volunteers utilized in maintaining the House, Family Rooms and Happy Wheels Cart Programs, in addition to soliciting and managing volunteers for RMCHA signature fundraising events. He/she promotes awareness and support of the RMHCA mission, maintains the volunteer database, organizes and hosts the annual Volunteer Recognition Event.
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Hours: 10:00am—6:00pm (generally)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and manages the RMHCA Volunteer Program, keeping it relevant to current needs of volunteers and RMHCA guest families.
- Recruits, cultivates, trains, organizes, directs and stewards all volunteers as unpaid employees in mission.
- Oversees the Meal Program with the assistance of the Family Room Manager, creating a volunteer “meals ambassador” team.
- Oversees the volunteer driven Happy Wheels Cart to promote the RMHCA brand within the hospital, ensure a positive volunteer experience and provide hospitality to out-patient families awaiting treatment.
- Responsible for the recruitment, training and communication with volunteers for Community Events to ensure event success and RMHCA brand compliance.
- Responsible for the recruitment and training of volunteers for RMHCA signature events, including Red Shoe Run, Golf Tournament and Heart of the House Gala.
- Assists with the Student Leadership Council.
- Develops, continually updates and conducts volunteer training.
- Coordinates scheduling of volunteer training, shifts and activities to meet the day-to-day operational and family service needs of the organization, including finding substitutes, as necessary.
- Keep all promotional marketing materials for the Volunteer Program updated and relevant by working with the Communications Manager.
- Assures that volunteers are equipped with tools necessary to successfully perform their jobs.
- Matches volunteer talents and expertise with tasks that best suit the volunteer’s skill sets.
- Evaluates performance of volunteers and recommends volunteers for particular activities or training.
- Maintains records of volunteer hours worked and projects with which volunteers participated.
- Maintains volunteer work calendar check-in and check-out procedures.
- Maintains master volunteer schedule and tracks number of volunteers and volunteer hours.
- Develops and maintains volunteer program manuals for orientation, training, and ongoing service.
- Identifies and develops training and service opportunities for volunteers.
- Actively participates with volunteers in effort to keep them engaged and in stewarding donor relationships.
- Plans ways to recognize donors throughout the year, especially during Volunteer Recognition Month.
- Plans the annual April recognition event for volunteers.
- Supervises and recruits Interns and Work Study students.
- Keeps statistics on the volunteer program.
- With Development/Marketing team, solicits funds from volunteers and volunteer groups as appropriate.
- Assists with Ronald McDonald House special events and activities as needed.
- Performs other duties incidental to the work outlined in this position description as requested by the Marketing and Communications Director.
- Contributes to RMHCA team efforts by maintaining positive, supportive and flexible working relationships with fellow staff and volunteers in our mutual pursuit of providing comfort and care to families of seriously ill or injured children being served by our facility.
Qualifications, skills and abilities required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Communications or related field plus three years requisite experience required.
- Previous experience working effectively with volunteers.
- Proficiency in Excel or related database management software.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to relate to people of diverse backgrounds.
- Skilled in Microsoft Word, Publisher, PowerPoint, and other desktop software programs.
- Demonstrated problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple and diverse tasks.
- Dependable, excellent judgment and demonstrated ability to operate in flexible, team-oriented environment.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and a cover letter to Kate Cleveland, Chief Development Officer, at Kate.Cleveland@rmhca.org