The general intern will serve as supporting role for the Volunteer Coordinator, Director of Family Programming and Family Care Specialists. The intern will be involved in all aspects of volunteer management and daily activities related to the House. Additional responsibilities will include but are not limited to managing volunteers, providing tours of the house, speaking engagements, all aspects of front desk duties, family programming, special events, database entry, solicitations and administrative duties.
Intern candidates must be enrolled in a college/university and working towards the completion of a degree in the area of Human Services. Having some volunteer experience with the Ronald McDonald House or with children and families is a plus. Skills required are good communication, organization, planning, time management, decision making, and problem solving. In addition, the intern must conduct oneself in a tactful manner in dealing with families and volunteers.
The intern must be dependable and able to work with minimal supervision.
1. Guest Relations
- Create an atmosphere of hospitality and ensure the well being and comfort of the families
- Oversee referrals, room assignments, and check-in and checkout procedures
- Clarify and enforce RMHCA policies and procedures to the guests
- Communicate pertinent information to the Director of Family Programming regarding guest status in a timely manner
- Handle communication with the families
- Work in a positive, nurturing manner with volunteers, community groups, donors, and support staff in the House
- Complete accurate donor forms for all in-kind donations that come in while on-duty
- Ensure proper accounting procedures are followed
- Record guest information on daily occupancy log and computer
- Answer phones and respond to phone requests
- Help assist Business Coordinator and Development staff with database
- Assist in Pop Tab Pandemonium School Contest
- Assist with community group desiring to provide support and activities that will benefit the House and families.
- Assist with the Family Meal Program
- Communicate with new volunteers
- Train all new volunteers and set their schedules
- Assist with volunteer database management
- Assist with speaking engagements
- Assist with recruiting, screening, training and retaining volunteers and meal donors
- Assist in Volunteer Orientation meetings held once a month
This is not a list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the position. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current position, RMHCA reserves the right to revise the position or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (i.e. emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush job, or technological developments).
- Sits at desk 50 – 60% of day
- Near visual acuity essential for reading
- Talking and hearing essential for communication
- Able to lift and transport up to 50 pounds
- Physically able to climb stairs and perform small maintenance tasks as needed
The intern reports to the Volunteer Coordinator for Ronald McDonald House Charities® of Alabama and is evaluated monthly.
Emily Wright, Volunteer Coordinator