Posted: October 2, 2017
The Family Care Specialist (FCS) I is usually one of the first and last contacts for anyone staying at or visiting the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Alabama, Inc. (RMHCA). RMHCA includes operations of either the RMHCA Family Room at UAB Women and Infants’ Center (UABFR) or the House. As such, the role is vital in setting and maintaining a positive experience for families and RMHCA visitors. The FCS I is a most important ambassador for RMHCA and should be personable and caring in all interactions with guests, volunteers, donors, hospital staff and visitors.
The FCS I also ensures the continuity of UABFR or House operations, safety, and security during normal business hours, after-hours and weekend operations.
Reports to: Director of Operations
Status: Non-Exempt, Part-time (must use time clock on premises to track hours worked). The FCS I is
assigned to work at the UABFR but may also cover or staff at the House if necessary.
Hours: Assigned shift, includes ½ hour unpaid lunch if shift permits
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To provide outstanding customer service and care to all of the guests, volunteers, donors, hospital staff and visitors that come to RMHCA.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Greets all UABFR/House guests/visitors with a smile as they come and go
- Assists guests/visitors with anything they may need during their stay or directs them to the appropriate person
- Remains accessible to the guests/visitors during the entire shift
- Performs guest check-ins/outs
- Explains UABFR/House policies and procedures, giving tours to new guests/visitors when possible
- Maintains daily occupancy and visitor logs
Volunteers/Donors/ Community/External Relations
- Greets volunteers and assists with supplies, directions and questions. Thanks volunteer groups.
- Greets and thanks all individuals donating items during shift, records donor data on specified form and provides information packets
- Remains accessible to hospital staff during entire shift
- Takes photos of guests/visitors or other UABFR/House activities as needed
- Remains on site at the front desk at all times
- Monitors storm warnings and notifies guests to relocate as appropriate
- Answers/handles all incoming telephone calls, checks office phone for messages routinely during the shift (i.e. hourly) and leaves messages with appropriate hospital/staff members when needed
- Completes required guest/visitor statistics and shift paperwork
- Performs data entry, photocopying, storing of supplies, other clerical tasks, as needed
- Is proficient in any electronic registration and guest tracking systems
- Maintains office environment in a tidy and clean manner
- Is responsible for overseeing the ongoing operation, safety, security and cleanliness of the UABFR/House during each shift. Responds to emergency calls after consulting with senior management, if needed
- Walks through area at least once per shift and takes care of any minor problems
- Deals with minor maintenance/cleaning issues (example: cleaning countertops, taking out trash)
- Documents any unresolved cleaning or maintenance problems/needs, equipment failures, lights out, etc. and reports them to appropriate hospital personnel
- Is oriented to and able to operate various systems used in the area/building (fire alarms, check circuit breakers, etc.) and documents issues as appropriate
- Maintains the security of all entrances
- In case of a weather emergency or in the case of any other emergency or problematic situation, contacts management and remains on duty. Is responsible for UABFR/House guest relations and operations until management arrives or until dismissed
- Reports to work on time
- Is available to work assigned shifts 24/7/365, including holidays and to cover other shifts when needed (sick, requests for time off, etc.)
- If unable to report to work (late, sick etc), notifies the Director of Operations and on duty staff as soon as possible per procedures and attempts to arrange replacement coverage
- Other duties as assigned
- Reads and acknowledges all memorandum and written communications relevant to position/RMHCA operations. Complies with all RMHCA policies and procedures
- Completes orientation, attends any required in-service training
- Punctual and reliable
- Complies with any immunization, health history or drug testing requirements established by RMHCA/hospital management in accordance with health/safety policies
- If requested, signs any releases required for initial/periodic employee background reviews
- Is expected to have a working knowledge of RMHCA and its programs and to be able to clearly and positively represent the organization to guests, volunteers and visitors present during a shift.
- The Family Care Specialist I should be knowledgeable of and adhere to relevant RMHCA/hospital policies and procedures.
Qualifications, skills and abilities required:
- High school graduate with some college/vocational/technical school required
- Excellent people and communications skills
- Ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision
- Proficiency with computers/word-processing. Basic spreadsheet software familiarity required
- Prior administrative or public contact work or volunteer experience
- Sound problem solving/decision-making skills
- Knowledge of Spanish a plus
How to Apply
Applicants should email their resume to Director of Operations Ms. Chris Ellis at email@example.com.